Save the Date April 28, 2024
Historic Hollywood Tour of Homes
What to expect on this walking tour of Hollywood History
More information coming soon - stay tuned!
About the Homes
The A. V. Smith House – 220 La Prado Place
This charming brick Tudor Cottage and detached carriage house were originally built in 1928. Very few changes were made to the interior or exterior until the current owners purchased the home in 2016. The redesigned home has newly vaulted ceilings in the living room, foyer, and kitchen nook as well as a brand-new kitchen. The limestone floor in the foyer is original to the house as is the front door. The fireplace was reworked, adding a mantle that came from the carriage house. The gorgeous table in the kitchen nook was built from wood also salvaged from the carriage house. The two-story carriage house, which had fallen into disrepair, was completely rebuilt on the site of the original structure.
The Nelson House – 205 Bonita Drive
This 1925 Spanish Colonial Revival holds historic significance as the personal home of Hollywood’s developer,
Clyde Nelson, and one of the first built in the community. Designed by George P. Turner, the architect for many
of Hollywood’s original residences, the two-story gem features original beamed ceilings in the living room,
archways in the foyer and den, four sets of French doors, large open porch with tile floor and fountain,
limestone mantel, stucco walls, and a terracotta roof – all the finest materials.
The Davidson House - 312 English Circle
This 1926 two-story Tudor Revival is one of the original homes on English Circle. The owners have stayed true to the historic charm of the home, which includes a multiple cross-gabled roof, detached two-car garage, and metal casement windows throughout. The leaded glass in the front bay windows as well as many architectural items throughout the home were added by former homeowner Mary Adams of the popular Mary Adams Antiques in Homewood. An addition was made in the 1980s. The current homeowners are art lovers, and the home is currently full of beautiful collections.
The history of the Hollywood neighborhood is rich and we have included those details following, as well.
The Hollywood Garden Club
History of Hollywood: “Birmingham’s Master Subdivision”
In 1924, the Hollywood Land Company was incorporated by real estate developer Clyde Nelson for the purpose of developing a planned community of Spanish Colonial Revival style homes in the area now known as Hollywood. He paid $109,800 for the land that would become “Birmingham’s Master Subdivision.” Nelson hired Harvard-trained landscape architect Rubee J. Pearse to design the 750-lot neighborhood by laying out roads, green spaces, lot lines, and house placement.
Nelson engaged Birmingham architect George P. Turner to design most of the original residences. At the time, lots sold for $1,800–$3,700, and completed homes sold for $15,000–$35,000. Nelson eventually allowed lot owners to also build the popular Tudor Revival style homes, but he still insisted on strict design codes in keeping with his vision for the community.
Nelson lavishly promoted Hollywood. Once the first floor of a new house was built, he hosted extravagant outdoor lawn parties and invited the general public to attend. He lured potential homeowners to the area with many desirable amenities, such as free bus service to downtown Birmingham for Hollywood residents, the first natural gas pipeline into Shades Valley, and the Hollywood Country Club, which offered fine dining, dancing, and a large pool with a sandy beach.
At the end of 1926, Hollywood was incorporated as a township, and a mayor and five councilmen were elected. Clarence Lloyd was the first and only mayor of Hollywood. In 1929, facing mounting expenses to provide necessary municipal services to a growing community, the town merged into the City of Homewood and remains a part of Homewood to this day.
In 2002, the Hollywood Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. It remains of historical significance as the earliest, and one of the best-executed, planned communities in the state. It is still noteworthy for the architectural style of the surviving historic houses of both Spanish and Tudor design.